What exactly is Graphic Design?
Graphic design is communication. Designers communicate, through ads and brochures and logos, book covers and magazines, posters and websites (like this one), presentations and ebooks, apps for your phone or your tablet and more. Pretty much everything you see every day gets designed.
The Graphic Design Program at VIU is a 4-year program leading to a Bachelor’s of Design degree. We start with the fundamentals and advance to the bleeding edge of visual communication and design thinking. We create stuff.
Because thats what designers do.
You should, too.
Ten Reasons to Study Graphic Design at VIU
- Like to draw? Paint? Live for Photoshop? Earn a living with your skills by becoming a graphic designer.
- Work with creative people like you, who'll challenge and expand your abilities.
- Every company, every organization, every product needs a designer. There’s plenty of places for you to put your skills to work.
- Learning to think like a designer lets you bring your creativity to bear on real-world problems and projects, not just business cards and posters.
- You’ll have plenty of opportunities to work on projects that matter to you.
- Small classes mean lots of one-on-one time with your instructors.
- Your professors are designers and photographers, too—they bring real world experience to the classroom…
- …Except there are no classrooms. We work in studios—it’s as close to the real thing as we can get.
- Our courses don’t just teach the latest tools and technologies— they also teach you what to do with them, so you’ll be industry-ready.
- If you start your career in design at VIU’s Nanaimo campus, you’ll have all the opportunities of a full-size university, surrounded by the natural beauty of Vancouver Island.
Learn Graphic Design at VIU, meet amazing people, learn awesome things and save some coin.
Interested in the opportunities of a BA in the Arts and Humanities? Visit the BA website for more information.