Prospective students must meet with the Art Department Selection Committee. Students will be advised of the status of their application as soon as possible following their interview with the Selection Committee. For interview dates, please contact the Admissions office, 250-740-6400. Applied program applicants must seek permission from the instructor to take part-time courses and may be required to submit a portfolio for assessment.
- Grade 12, or equivalent*.
- English 12 with minimum. “C” grade for students enrolling in English 115; minimum. “C+” grade for students enrolling in English 111.
- All students who take more than one Art course per semester must have an interview with the Art Department Selection Committee prior to admission.
Application Portfolio Requirements
- Art students must bring to the interview a 100-300 word written statement on reasons and goals for seeking enrolment in Visual or Applied Art.
- A portfolio is required. See requirements below.
A minimum of 10 examples of artwork that satisfy a variety of the following:
- Original drawings in a variety of media.
- Original paintings or illustrations in a variety of media.
- Original collages or mixed-media pieces exploring specific themes.
- Photographs, slides, and/or digital files of three-dimensional artwork such as installation, sculpture, and pottery.
- Photography utilized as a means of personal expression and/or communication.
- Graphic print work such as linocuts, woodcuts, silkscreens, etc.
* If your artwork exceeds the dimensions of 24” x 36”, please document the work and supply photographs and/or slides.
Feel free to enrich your portfolio presentation with a maximum of three examples of items such as:
- Photographs of mural art.
- Photographs or originals of various crafts such as quilting, stitchery, fashion design, or jewelry design.
- A “uniquely yours” that you consider to be an artwork.
Notes on Admission
- Non-Art students may take one studio Art course per semester without departmental permission. If the elective is a studio course, then enrolment must be for one full year.
- Enrolment in this program is limited. Students who meet or exceed the minimum admission requirements may not necessarily be admitted to the program.
Admission Requirements, 200-Level Studio Courses
- Admission to all 200-level studio courses requires completion of program requirements for first year.
- Admission is based on a portfolio review by the Visual and Applied Arts Review Committee. All students seeking admission to second-year studio courses must submit portfolios to the Visual Art Committee by March 15.
- Transfer students, and those seeking Prior Learning Assessment must meet the department’s admission requirements outlined above.
- Students who change their program of studies from individually selected courses, Diploma in Visual Art or Applied Arts, to the Bachelor of Fine Arts University Transfer program or the Bachelor of Arts, Minor in Visual Art degree program, must have completed the appropriate first year Art Core and electives.
Admission Requirements, 300-Level Studio Courses
- Completion of appropriate prerequisite courses.
Start Date and Application Deadline
Students should start the Visual and Applied Arts programs in September, as the selection of courses is greater in the Fall semester. The applied programs start in the Fall only. Applications are accepted anytime between November 15 and March 31. After March 31st contact the individual department regarding seat availability.
Applications for September classes are accepted after November 15 for classes commencing the following September.
*All course and program availability is subject to funding and sufficient enrolment.